Saturday 2 October 2010

A Tribute

No sooner do I set up a blog, that I get the most terrible of news... I must say, this is not a good start.

I met Micheal Hanlon five years ago, when we were coincidentally both on holiday down south. We got talking, as you sometimes do, and got on incredibly well. So well, in fact, that we kept in touch via the internet almost non-stop. During these five past years, we became great and close friends, though our locations (I in the North, he in Maine) did much to make communication often awkward and slow.

On Wednesday, I found out that he had been diagnosed with a brain tumour, and not early enough that it could be dealt with easily, as if they could be dealt with easily. This, of course, hit me hard and I became increasingly worried for his health. The doctors had informed him that there was a less than 50% chance of surviving the operation. And so, during Wednesday, he said to his friends what became his farewells. Early on Friday, he underwent an operation that he did not survive. His instructions before he went into surgery, to his brother, was to inform me what happened, no matter what happened.

He was only 20, and was fiercely intelligent, a quality mirrored by his brother. A brilliant friend, son, and sibling, who will be sorely missed, but never forgotten.

I wish your soul speed, my friend. Rest in peace.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Digg Stumbleupon Favorites