Monday 29 November 2010

The Occult

Well, since I've received a few emails recently about my deep interest in the occult, I figured I'd do a full write-up about it and answer the questions I've received. It also helps that I've nothing better to do, what with the snow and Arctic cold and all. First, a clarification: you can not know about or study the occult if you hold any misconceptions about what the occult actually is. The occult, as a term, refers to anything beyond ordinary knowledge and understanding. We commonly take this to mean  the supernatural.

Now, the genuine questions I've received! I'm pleased the subject's received some interest from you, my dear readers, I really am. So, the questions!

Do you practise magic?
No... Perhaps I would if I had the patience or the resources to. Magic requires a great deal of ritual and, therefore, patience. To use an example that I referred to in a previous post, Le Grimoire du Pape Honorius encapsulates a great deal of ritual-magic, pertaining largely to unholy entities, both summoning and protecting yourself from them.


Now, some magic does not require ritual. This particular magic is about focusing the will of the spellcaster to a physical or spiritual manifestation. It was argued, rather cogently I thought, in the book Nazis and the Occult, that this was something practised by Hitler to gain power in Germany and early success in the war. You should read up on the subject of Nazis and the occult actually - there's a surprising amount of evidence there.


How many books have you read?
Oh boy... This list is not exhaustive, as I know I've read more. I just can't remember their names. Two lists: the first one is of the actual occult and 'forbidden' books I've read, either physically or in digital form. The second contains the books I've read on the subject of the occult.

  • Le Grimoire du Pape Honorius
  • Book of the Law
  • Malleus Maleficarum
  • Mysteriorum Libri Quinque
  • Cantus Circaeus
  • All four Occult Philosophy books by Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa
  • Key of Solomon
  • The True Petition of the Jesuits
     
     
  •  Nazis and the Occult
  • Modern Occult Rhetoric
  • Spear of Destiny
  • Masonic and Occult Symbols, Illustrated
Actually, that may be all the books I've read on the subject. For some reason, I have an easier time remembering the titles in their original languages. Very odd. I'm sorry to say I've not read more of Aleister Crowley's writings (Book of the Law being the only one I've read), as I consider Mr. Crowley to be partly batshit crazy, with the twisted 'insight' that insanity is alleged to give to it's victims.
 
When did you first become interested?
You can thank my grandmother on my mother's side for that. We were very close before she died several years ago, and she was a highly spiritual person who always had a lot to say about the occult. It rubbed off on me. I first started my reading about 5 years ago.

Have you ever performed magic?
As I say, I don't have the patience. However, one has to bear in mind the Karma system: one thing that everything stresses is that performing magic for purely personal improvement or gain will come back to haunt you. I'd rather not fuck with something I don't understand.

As of writing, that's all the questions I've received (reworded. natch). If anyone wants to ask me something, drop a comment or an email!


Until next time!
Teddy

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Digg Stumbleupon Favorites